Trip to Chail - My first experience of driving on hills

My first experience of driving on hills and I loved it. I must admit to all the apprehensions and self doubts that I had (maybe, some still lurk in not so dark corners of my mind) before the confirmed decision to drive from Delhi to Chail (Himachal Pradesh).

Beaches vs. Mountains 

Just like last year, we planned our family vacation towards end of our kids' summer vacation. This time I did the bookings so late that I did not get the family room at our preferred venues. Being hot and humid summer in Delhi my wife's preference was hills while my daughter wanted beaches. We did evaluate a week long trip down south covering  few places in Karnataka but it did not work out (too much expense just on travel and little time to relax and enjoy). So, finally we decided to go for a relatively less popular (among general touristy janta) hill station within 7 to 8 hours of travel. Chail popped up in most searches and seemed to fit our demands so I went ahead with the bookings.

Keen to Drive 

Initially, the plan was to take a cab (as always for any road trip) but after the Ramgarh (Uttarakhand) trip I was keen to drive myself as I felt if the height isn't much then it should be ok for a city folk like me to drive by myself. A few message exchanges on WhatsApp groups and a hearty call with a close friend helped me to firm up my intentions and also get an agreement from my wife. After I shared the information that Himachal had pretty good roads and most of our route would be 4 lane plus the overall route was good for driving and nothing to worry about (consistent feedback from all), my wife was all in.

Some pointers (for driving on hills) that I noted for myself and kept reminding for most of my journey

- keep to your side of the road ✅

- freely honk on bends and corners ✅

- don't rush to overtake and definitely not on bends ✅

- follow a vehicle ahead of yourself if unsure of yourself ✅

- avoid night driving, if you can (specially, since this is my first time on hills as a driver) ❌ 

The plan was to start Sunday early morning from Delhi, reach Chail by late afternoon. 3 nights stay meant return was scheduled for Wednesday. I had done reservations at Country Inn Mapel Resort. Google maps was my guide all the way and it did not let me down! We took the route via GT Karnal road passing Murthal, Sonipat, Panipat, Kurushetra, Ambala, Chandigarh, Parwanoo, Solan (all 4 lane or more) and finally hit the Kandaghat-Chail-Kufri road which suddenly put us onto 1.5 to 2 lane road.

The Drive

I was driving my 5 year old Suzuki Ciaz (Petrol, Automatic) and my friend had assured me that the route would be no trouble for the baby (proven true). My wife next to me, kids sitting behind, fully loaded with food and drinks we were all set for the journey at 6:30am. We took just one break a little before Chandigarh at Palace Haveli and had coffee at the Barista Cafe. Beyond Chandigarh as the hills started there were a few diversions causing 4 lane to become 2 lane (but quite broad roads). In some places the diversions seemed to be due to landslide (didn't look major) which may have happened days before and in other places there seemed to be more road works in progress. 

Did I forget to mention my tryst with summer rains when I travel? Given late June travel, I do end up with rain forecasts during my vacation (which I have decided that I will ensure does not happen the next time - fingers crossed!).

All the way starting from Delhi till our stopover @Barista Ambala there were rains and lot of water logging throughout the highway. Thankfully there was none from that point till our resort @Chail.

Barista Ambala, Palace Haveli, 9 Milestone LHS Ambala Chandigarh Expy Kakru, Ambala, Haryana 134003


The Hills

As we left the plains behind the view also became beautiful and charming with hills, greenery, clouds and sunshine all playing hide and seek. Since I was driving I did not dare look around too much and took respite in the oohs aahs and wows of my wife and kids. As we left Solan and moved higher toward Chail the view became even grander. Kandaghat-Chail-Kufri road  went through towns/villages and suddenly I was traversing a lot of bends and the movement uphill and downhill lost all pattern. It was the last hour of driving and it gave all the real feel of hill driving for which I had picked my friend's brain for a good 20 minutes just a couple of days back. City driving in Delhi and Gurgaon also helped as I did not have any issues maneuvering tight corners with cars/jeeps coming soooo close while passing you on that narrow route.


Kufri

While the plan was for Chail there isn't much to do there (besides covering a few places taking a day off your itinerary) unless you want to just chill out in your resort (which the kids were dead against) we decided to go to Kufri Adventure Park. Kufri added all the thrill which was missing so far!! The destination was 1.5 hours away in Fagu region. As I moved into Kufri and towards Fagu, visibility dropped frequently due to fog (another element that I had not planned for and would have left the experience for some other time, if I had the choice). Another first was the use of all driving modes available in my car (D, 2 , L) except switching off the OD function. As we entered the adventure park, the weather gave the first signals of becoming worse and the incoming rains. We managed to do one round of go-karting before the drizzling started and we settled in the nearby eatery for some snacking. As the rain did not show any sign of stopping and the clock ticked away we decided to let the kids have a go at the indoor games/activities. By the time they were through there was a complete downpour. I had wanted to reach back to our resort @ Chail before sunset (expected around 7pm) but it was already 5:30pm when we started our return.

I thanked the improvement in automotive technology and the fact that my car had ABS as the rain showed no mercy for the next 30 minutes. The rain dropped to a drizzle eventually and we stopped at a place which had some souvenior and general merchant shops. My daughter wanted some keyrings for her friends and my wife had spotted some stuff that she wanted for home. All in all, we spent a good 45 minutes there and I couldn't help but think of the upcoming low/no light driving over those ever bending roads with continuous  blind turns.

While the kids lost no chance of catching a nap as I drove, my wife was my constant support as she stayed active and we continued with small talk as I drove. Network failed at a couple of places causing the map to show the route without any real-time information. I had to stop once and reboot my phone since switching to aeroplane mode and back did not help. That did the trick and we were back in motion. Soon even the faint sunlight through the trees was lost and I was driving in darkness as mostly there was no street light. Last 30 minutes had me uptight and I eased only when I saw the familiar road near the resort. It was 9pm already and I had braved driving in rain, fog and no lights on a hilly terrain.


The Return

Next day was our return to Delhi. By now with my newly gained experience and subsequent confidence, I was in more control over my apprehensions about hill driving but I still stayed on the side of caution. Nothing eventful happened on the way back except at a tight bend when one Hyundai Creta driver (seemed as raw as me) decided he would not move much (his expressions were worth capturing as he looked as if in shock) and I had to depend on another driver's guidance to move clear of that spot.

We encountered traffic between Panchkula and Chandigarh due to road/flyover construction work and later just before entering Delhi  the trucks and other commercial vehicles caused a havoc. With a single, hour long stop we finally reached home a little past mid-night. Tired but happy. 

I am now all set for another road trip. My friend had suggested Leh... let's see if that happens.

----***----

Toll info

Between Delhi and Chail

  • Rs. 110 @bhagan toll plaza
  • Rs. 40@panipat
  • Rs. 145 @gharonda toll plaza
  • Rs. 45 @ambala Chandigarh
  • Rs. 35 @ chandimandir toll plaza
  • Rs. 70 @sanwara toll plaza
  • Rs. 50 @parwanoo

Going to Chail city palace and beyond (kufri)

  • Rs. 30 gram panchayat chail

Speed limits

  • Mostly between 80 to 90 till Chandigarh
  • Followed by 40 to 60 till the turn to kandaghat-chail-kufri road
  • Henceforth mostly 20 to 30

Break spots

  • Lot of Dhabas at Murthal
  • dni and Haveli Properties with multiple eating options including cafe's and fast food joints
  • Near and post Chandigarh more options for good break points 

Traffic, construction, diversions

  • While going major traffic chunk post exciting Delhi would be at Chandigarh
  • While returning encountered traffic woe due to road/ flyover construction near Panchkula/Chandigarh
  • Exit from highway to Delhi was clogged by trucks and other heavy vehicles causing at least a km of vehicles line up

Fuel

  • Approx. 1.5 tank full for Suzuki Ciaz Petrol (Automatic) - 40 ltr. tank

Tips @Kufri 

  • Don't go to touts for adventure park
  • Go to the adventure resort at New Kufri near Fagu. Car can go up there.
  • The older adventure park was not advised by the resort folks (where I stayed) and I did not find good reviews for the same on TripAdvisor

 More Photos


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Lucknow

Learnings from my weekend trip to Ranikhet